Sunday, August 19, 2007

Christopher's Liver - Stop Apologizing (2007 EP)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

My friends were lucky enough to make the long drive from Michigan south to Georgia for the awesomeness that is Athens Pop Fest. Expecting them to return ecstatic with tales of Daniel Johnston antics, or raving about how Ted Leo literally rocked the skin off of their faces, or how Circulatory System is the greatest band ever, I was immediately dissapointed that the only thing they could talk about was some small time local band with a not-so-cool band name; Christopher's Liver. Drunk on my front porch i finally conceded to give it a listen, and low and behold...i wasn't blown away...at all. "Stop Apologizing" sounded generic, boring even. I felt like i had heard the male/female vocal melodies intertwine a thousand times before, and the sparse instrumentations even more often from any DIY circuit band.

But then i realized i was fucking drunk.

The next morning when i woke up hungover, I was lucky enough to find the album saved onto my computer, and after a second listen it all made complete, beautiful sense. The familiarity was not plagarism or lack of creativity, but TIMELESSNESS. The sparse instrumention was not boring, but stylistically and intentionally moody, desperate even. Christopher's Liver deliver a sound defiant of both genre and time, weaving together elements of pop, folk, rock and punk rock they successfully compose personal naratives on life experiences ranging from sobriety to silliness with a lo-fi aesthetic similar to something you might have heard in an olympia washington basement circa 1991. Download this album. It is my current favorite and will certainly be yours as well. As long as you're not fucking drunk.

Tracklisting:

1.Thank You For The Nostalgia, But As Far As I'm Concerned Goodbye And Good Night
2.I Forgot My Dreams And Fucked Up The Slogans In My Pocket, Uncle Sam
3.These Hands Play On In Silence For Four Days
4.I Hope

Band: myspace.com/christopher39sliver
Purchase: (directly from artist) myspace.com/christopher39sliver
hxxp://www.mediafire.com/?f2jnz9whs1o

1 comment:

christopherandhisliver said...

hi, this is christopher. i would love to post this review on the myspace page. i've added it for the temporary, but if you want me to remove, just say so. we've got a new record available. check out the site.